Following a near accident in recent days, Fenit Town Hall and the local community are asking Kerry County Council to introduce a new bye-law to create a specific zone for jet-ski use.
A recent spate of jet ski infringements into swimming areas across the country has prompted other organisations to issue a joint appeal to jet ski users. Users should respect the safety and wellbeing of other water users and remain vigilant at all times to any unnecessary encroachment into other activities particularly swimming areas.
The public are requested to familiarise themselves with the following key safety measures before using a Jet Ski:
• Keep a safe distance from other water users
• Learn how to operate your machine
• Know your own and your machine’s capabilities/limitations
• Wear an approved lifejacket or buoyancy aid
• Always use a kill chord
• Check weather forecasts and tides
• Have a suitable means of attracting attention in an emergency
• Advise someone ashore of your expected departure and return times
• Operate your machine in the vicinity of other water users e.g. swimmers, divers, craft such as angling boats, canoes, sailing boats etc.
• Cause a safety hazard by high-speed use
• Create unnecessary noise and disturbance to other people or wildlife
• Allow those under 16yrs of age to operate PWCs or other Fast Powered Craft
• Drink and Drive
Read more in The Kerryman: https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/tralee-news/fenit-locals-want-jet-ski-set-rules-40695732.html